Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Doctor Who: You Look About Nine!

Vampires of Venice was a really fun episode - not so much of a thinky one as some of the others, just a fun one.

Which is pretty awesome.

Spoilers below:

So I'm just going go through some of the ones I liked best - though really, the entire episode was just delicious and pretty so ya'll should just go watch the whole thing.

First of all, the villains -- well, not really villains, right? At the beginning of the episode where they are first introduced, Rosanna says,

Protecting the future of one's own is a sacred duty.


And, though she was saying it to the father who was attempting to secure a place for his daughter at the so called school, it is exactly what she was trying to do for her race. And you can see where she's coming from so it's difficult to condemn her all the same.

Also, when she's talking to Amy, Rosanna says something else that's interesting, but I can't quite catch it so I may be imagining this:

Where are you from? Did you fall through the chasm? I need to know what this girl is doing in the world of savages with the psychic paper.


World. Of. Savages (I'm pretty sure that's what she's saying but it wouldn't be the first time my ears have played tricks on me). But, if I'm hearing correctly -- maybe it's the English student popping up -- but I just find it a fascinating reversal of roles and perspectives that's still relevant even today. People really should take the time to get to know one another before they go off calling people names, which inevitably shapes how one views a person...rather disastrous if these things aren't closely monitored.

I do believe that Literature is more like time travel and space exploration every day. I love it.

Yay multi-faceted villains.

Also? They're fish people. Acting like vampires.

Illusion:



Reality:



Fish From Space: Still More Real than Edward Cullen

And the Doctor bursting out of the stripper cake! I could not stop laughing.

Rory - we need to talk about your fiancee. [pause]. She tried to kiss me. Though you're a lucky man, she's a great kisser. [tenser pause] Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine.


=)



I love his smile. He does the Smile twice in this episode - sweetest thing.

Ah! The GOGGLES!



Not a replacement for the brainy specs, but still made of win.

I also liked what he said about time traveling and how that affects relationships:

The life out there it dazzles. I mean, it blinds you to the things that are important. I've seen it devour relationships and plans because for one person to have seen all that -- to taste the glory and then to come back - it will tear you apart.


It makes me hungry just thinking about it. And I think it's amazing that the Doctor brought Rory along to stop that from happening to Amy -- instead of just doctoring the human race, he's doing it for his companions' lives as well -- and I don't think that really happened in the previous (new) series before.



First of all, love the image. It tickles me.

Second of all, love the dialogue: Stop talking -- brain thinking -- hush.

And last, but certainly not least, I adore Rory.



And he's not an idiot like Mickey (used) to be! He knew right away that the TARDIS was in another dimension, giving the Doctor a bit of a pause:

I like the bit where someone says it's bigger on the inside - I always look forward to that.


I like how we had the obligatory bit from Rory about it being dangerous - but it wasn't unpleasantly ridden with tired drama.

I like how Rory tries to be brave in the face of Fish People From Space Posing as Vampires, but it just doesn't quite work:

This way you freak! No, this - this - this way you big stupid great Spongebob!


Hehehe.

Then of course, after he helps distract the Fish From Space so that Amy can burn it to cinders with a pocket mirror, this:



And all's right with the world again. It doesn't appear that Rory feels threatened quite so much by the Doctor (but I guess we won't be able to tell completely until the series unfolds some more) and he even seems to be quite willing to help save Venice and the Doctor (despite his former protests of danger):

The Doctor: Get out! I need to stabilize the storm.
Rory: We're not leaving you!
The Doctor: Right, so one minute it's all you make people a danger to themselves and the next we're not leaving you but if one of you gets squashed or blown up or eaten who gets - [earthquake]


Right. I approve. Heartily.

Amy: Stay with us please! Just for a bit. I want you to stay. Please?
The Doctor: Fine with me!
Rory: Yeah? Yes, I would like that!
Amy: I'll pop the kettle on. Hey look at this! Got my space ship, got my boys!


All I have to say is that the character dynamics/relationships look to be more fresh and interesting and new and hugworthy. Yay.

And I'm so glad it appears that Rory will be staying on with them (especially since it was all tired!drama free and very nice). And he wanted to come! That's amazing! Both Donna and Mickey were slow on the uptake when it was first offered to them (seriously - the chance to travel through time and space and you're not gonna leap at the chance?).

I'm really looking forward to next week's episode (which I won't see until after I come home in ten days time - I'm not sure I'll be able to take the suspense): it looks like an odd little mixture of the Sandman meets the Matrix.

Fantastic.

No comments: